Some persons undergoing the rebooting process believe that as long as they avoid ejaculation, they are successfully rebooting. This leads them to start an unhelpful practice called edging. It is masturbating up to the edge of orgasm, then revving up again. Three common versions of edging:
- Masturbating without porn and no ejaculation
- Masturbating with viewing of porn, no ejaculation
- Watching porn without masturbating
Since a reboot is termed as no porn or it’s substitutes 2 & 3 make no sense. For those trying to quit porn and stop masturbation, edging while viewing porn is actually worse than having an orgasm.
Edging without porn
It is not similar to the edge with a sexual partner. Sexual intercourse means wiring your sexual response to another person. It is important to know that sexual stimulation is the highest level of naturally produced dopamine. It is at a peak during the process of edging. At orgasm, prolactin rises, which decreases the dopamine to lower levels and hampers its release.
No edging versus edging, here’s what some of our users say:
- One user: 2 years ago started on the journey of quitting porn and I got extensive energy from it.
- Another guy explained even a small edge is dangerous, it increases gradually and it becomes difficult to resist the cravings.
- Another person explained that edging is worse. You should stop it immediately. Porn use alters the brain and causes sexual dysfunction.
- Another user reported that his varicocele pain was due to the practice of edging. But when he started on the process of quitting porn, it vanished within a week and there was zero pain in his testicles. It is important to understand that edging and varicocele pain are related. It aggravates the pain.
Edging to porn
Edging can keep dopamine levels high for hours. Further, edging to porn, doesn’t provide any benefits as the dopamine secretion and arousal are still connected to porn. These high dopamine levels push the reward circuit to repeat it again and again. It conditions your sexual arousal to everything related to porn use. Dopamine increases when something is better than expected but drops when expectations are not met. When real sex doesn’t match porn, dopamine drops along with your excitement and erections.
Some urologists also suggest stopping masturbation without orgasm (edging) because it can cause pain in the testicles and cause many problems in the prostate.
To conclude, edging is not the correct way to recover. It just increases your dopamine and slows down the recovery. It is worse than masturbating.